Friday, July 16, 2010

Eye Opening Compassion

"Love in Reality is a harsh and dreadful thing as compared to the Love in dreams."


I’ve worked in soup kitchens, food pantries, and summer feeding programs. So, I had a general concept of what to expect in an environment related to alleviating hunger – a kitchen, food, serving equipment, lines, the needy etc. Today I had the privilege of volunteering at the Catholic Worker – completely different than any other homeless feeding site I’ve ever worked at; or any other feeding site in general. We made an awesome homemade meal and everyone ate off of real dishes with real metal silverware – no disposable flimsy plastic. As we prepared the meal people could walk in and out of the kitchen to get coffee or just to provide us with conversation as we cooked! We prayed before the meal and served the food in the kitchen. People were everywhere. It was loud, crowded and chaotic but with an overwhelming sense of hospitality. I loved it.


I was able to talk all about farmers markets and fresh produce with one very outgoing and passionate man. I listened to one gentleman talk about any random topic he could come up with just to make me think. I talked with a volunteer about his plan to experience homelessness so he could better grasp the living conditions these people had to deal with everyday. I listened to a philosopher tell about policies he thinks will help our economy. One couple described the drastic difference between two organizations that sought to help the homeless. I had a guy go on about how he was related to someone famous and then have a good laugh that I actually believed him.


God was good to me and gave me the courage to stand in front of a crowd of maybe 60 homeless men and women and bless our food. God granted me a still mind to just listen to these people and really hear what they had to say. The Holy Spirit stirred my heart, built up my compassion and rid my mind of any judging or negative comment. It was such an amazing day and I honestly feel like I’ve grown as a person just by what we did today.


One of my favorite parts of the day was during clean up when I got into a great personal conversation with one homeless man. I was shocked by how eager he was for someone to hear his story. We talked about hospitality and how there is a big difference between a soup kitchen and really serving those who need help; and how building RELATIONSHIPS and taking time to actually care for someone makes a huge difference in their life. This man, who was only 8 years older than me, told me about how he wound up being homeless. His words exactly, “You never know when it could be your last paycheck.” – You never think it could be you. His story was heartbreaking and I don’t feel the need to go into all the details but it was eye opening to hear his side of the story and really talk about what he thinks needs to be done about the issue of hunger and about being homeless. We also talked about trusting God and how He provides in big and small ways all the time.


It’s amazing how God can put together little moments like that – in a few minutes me and this man, who is completely different than me in almost every way, got to take off the mask that we all hide behind and be honest and legit. I didn’t just serve him lunch. I didn’t just halfway listen as he talked about his problems. We had a true 2 way conversation about God, life and how we could help. I don’t know if he was at all impacted by our conversation. In fact I don’t think it matters. But I do know that the experience at the Catholic Worker is one that I will keep with me for a long time. I think it’s opened my eyes a little bit more, broke my heart a little bit more, strengthened my faith a little bit more and provided me with a little bit more courage.

-Brittany-

1 comment:

  1. Dear dears,
    As a cradle Catholic, I experienced communion as an actual co-consumption that united us one to the other; becoming the body of Jesus Christ here on earth. Today, I experience the act of chopping, cooking, talking, joking, smiling, and serving the homeless/working poor as healing; as re-setting the broken bones of the body of Christ. Like the healing of bones, it can be painful (when we listen, helpless to fix what is wrong or unjust).
    Thank you for your work on Friday. You helped heal what is broken both in us by the act of serving and in the hungry by being nourished with dignity and love.
    Buen viaje, que nuestra Madre las bediga.

    ReplyDelete